Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Birth of William Jacob

My c-section was scheduled for 9am Thursday September 20th. I kept myself extra busy the day before with cleaning, laundry, crafting and every other thing I could think of. I was so anxious to get this pregnancy over with. A small part of me was even a little bit scared, but I couldn't stop thinking about meeting my son in 24 hours! I woke up the morning of the surgery and was just so pumped...not scared one bit! We got ready and left for the hospital. I had to be there by 7 am for labs and prep work. But before we left I had my husband take one last pregnancy picture of me to show off my baby bump one last time. I was 39 weeks and 6 days exactly in these pictures. My original due date was September 21st.



 
When we got to Mercy-Gilbert hospital we checked in and were taken up to the labor and delivery floor. I was taken to triage right away and hooked up to monitors and tubes. I had all of my pre-labor work going and we were just waiting for the doctors and nursing staff to be ready in the OR. My parents, sister Ciara, my grandparents, sister in law Kassie and best friend Nicole were all there in the waiting room waiting to see us after. My parents and grandparents came back to say hi and see me one more time before I went back to the OR. My dad was almost in tears seeing me hooked up to everything, it made me get a little emotional...and I had been doing so well with that! Everyone was finally ready to get this show on the road! I was taken back to the OR and given a spinal and prepped for surgery. After everything was done my husband was able to come back and they began the surgery. I was awake the whole time and I felt sooo good! All I remember is the staff laughing at everything I was saying. I think I even told the doctor that my kid was going to beat the weight of her last delivery of a 9 lb baby. It was a weird feeling to be on the drugs they gave me, listening to classic rock and feeling the pressure of the movements from the operation. All of a sudden Chris says, "Honey! Look, there he is!" and I heard that little baby cry and I started crying. I never felt so happy and so much love for someone before ever! It is true: being a mom changes everything!
 
 
 
Our son was finally here! William Jacob Kelsch arrived on September 20, 2012 at 10:03 am via c-section. He weighed in at 9 lbs 4 oz and measured at 22 inches long. He was so big they even had to suction him out! The doctor said he was wedged inside of me and they needed a little help getting him out. The doctor said, "I don't know how you fit that baby inside of you! You hid it very well." They brought him around to me right away, before they even cleaned him up, and I just remember telling him, "Son, its your mom. I'm so happy you are here! I love you son and mom is right here!" The nurses and Chris went to the nursery to get him checked out and give him a bath. My family that was in the waiting room all got to see him through the window in the nursery. While he was getting cleaned up I was getting stitched up. I felt so tired and was trying to keep my eyes open the entire time. I could feel them tugging and pulling at my stomach, it felt so weird! After they finished I was taken to recovery for about 45 min to an hour. Of course, being a Kelsch, he nursed right away. After I was able to move my feet, after the drugs started to wear off, I was moved to my room. My family came back to visit with the baby and my parents spent all day there with us. It was nice to have them around for such a huge deal in our lives.
 

 
We were in the hospital from Thursday to Saturday and I was released early because I was up walking around and doing very well after a c-section. I was pulling myself out of bed while holding the baby...that's how good I was doing. The hospital and staff were amazing. I felt like we were taken care of and important, not just another patient in a bed. The rooms were large, the food was great and they even had tea time with little cakes and tea in your rooms. I am totally having baby #2 there. Best hospital ever...it was more like a resort than anything else. Since coming home it has been an obvious adjustment. I am very exhausted still and Chris had to go back to work right away on Monday. It has been such a help to have my mom and sister come by the first few days this week. They have mostly been cooking and helping me with the baby while I sleep. But in the end all of this is worth it just to see my baby boy smiling and laughing in his sleep. I am very much looking forward to spending the next 3 months with our little guy at home. Of course, being a photographer, there will be many pictures to come!





1 comment:

  1. So happy for you! I'm glad you are recovering well & quickly. Your little guy is absolutely beautiful. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete